Re: process RFC - POD for all RFC documentation

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 19, 2021 09:58
Re: process RFC - POD for all RFC documentation
Message ID:
20210619095842.GS16703@etla.org
On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 10:27:19AM +0100, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 08:08:29 +0000
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> > A *tool* to convert 90% of Markdown to Pod (and warn about the bits
> > that need some manual fixup) would be really useful. Does one exist
> > on CPAN already?
>
> I would suggest pandoc, except it doesn't support POD.
>
> But by happy coincidence, yesterday I began writing myself a
> "better man" [1] that can render POD and nroff (i.e. what man uses) to
> the terminal. I'm intending to add Markdown/ReST and other such
> formats, and also give it multiple outputs - maybe cross-conversion
> would be on theme there.

Ooh interesting.

Given the context I should stress "my personal opinion, and not something
the current PSC has thought about" was that in the general case

1) We need to convert our documents to HTML, plain text and man pages
2) Pod can do this
3) I have no idea about tooling to convert Markdown to man pages

so if "we" wanted to offer Markdown as an equal first class documentation
alternative generally, "we" need to be able to convert Markdown to man
pages, and I had *no idea* if that's already been done, and I didn't go
investigate.

But I don't have time to look into this, and won't once I've escaped the
PSC. There's a bunch of other Real Life (TM) stuff that needs doing and
had been on hold.

> I did have a look around CPAN for some sort of Markdown parser, and I
> can find *loads* of duplicate modules on a theme of "convert Markdown
> to HTML" in one atomic lump, I can't find an abstract SAX or DOM-alike
> Markdown parser, in the same style as something like Pod::Simple or
> Parse::Man::DOM.
>
> Does anyone know of one, or should I write it? I kindof feel that
> "Writing your own Markdown parser" is only one level away from writing
> your own crypto. :/

Good question, and I don't know.

My impertinent thought is "Please don't spread yourself too thin"
But really "It's your own time. Do what you find fun and productive"

Nicholas Clark