Re: process RFC - POD for all RFC documentation

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
June 19, 2021 09:27
Re: process RFC - POD for all RFC documentation
Message ID:
20210619102719.19004610@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 08:08:29 +0000
Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> A *tool* to convert 90% of Markdown to Pod (and warn about the bits
> that need some manual fixup) would be really useful. Does one exist
> on CPAN already?

I would suggest pandoc, except it doesn't support POD.

But by happy coincidence, yesterday I began writing myself a
"better man" [1] that can render POD and nroff (i.e. what man uses) to
the terminal. I'm intending to add Markdown/ReST and other such
formats, and also give it multiple outputs - maybe cross-conversion
would be on theme there.

A quick screenshot:

  https://twitter.com/cpan_pevans/status/1405938689050656774

I did have a look around CPAN for some sort of Markdown parser, and I
can find *loads* of duplicate modules on a theme of "convert Markdown
to HTML" in one atomic lump, I can't find an abstract SAX or DOM-alike
Markdown parser, in the same style as something like Pod::Simple or
Parse::Man::DOM.

Does anyone know of one, or should I write it? I kindof feel that
"Writing your own Markdown parser" is only one level away from writing
your own crypto. :/

[1]: No Abba song jokes please; we're British.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans