Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
June 19, 2021 00:31
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
20210619003144.GA7913@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 10:17:12PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> > Under Tier 4, the phrase
> > We won't accept patches (unless we're expecting/want it to move up)
> > seems unnecessarily unfriendly. If a patch is simple and unobtrusive,I'd hope we would accept it. If it's an invasive patch, of course, somehesitancy before applying would certainly be appropriate.
>
> How about something like:
>
>     We won’t accept complex / intrusive patches unless we’re expecting/want it to move up to tier 3.
>     Minor platform-specific patches may be accepted, but doing so will move the platform up to tier 3, by definition.

I confess I don't understand why you need to say anything at all.  I don't understand
why patches to add a platform should be viewed any differently from any other sort of
patches.  They have benefits, but also costs and risks.

If you feel you must say something, I think it should simply be a welcoming phrase,
perhaps something vaguely like

    If you would like to add a new platform to perl, welcome!  Please discuss your
    plans on the perl5-porters@perl.org mailing list to see what might be feasible.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu