Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
June 18, 2021 16:04
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
CA+vYcVyFrbABKYgp-mMijG_e7QO7u63n4+xEy6XWQiJSBwgaFw@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 8:31 AM Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 04:17:08PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> > I wrote up some thoughts on this, which ended up in a Google doc so I could iterate with Nick and then Rik.
>

> > You can see and comment on the document:
> >       https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RdBT0T6c61yYlOhtcgU9RFHB0pxXcnEhDsdW8hRteOc/edit?usp=sharing
>
> [I have never found commenting in the margins of Google docs to be a useful way
> to have a conversation, so I'm posting here instead.)

[Same here.]

I wonder whether folks have thought through the implications of
"Commits to blead are CI tested" for Tier 1.  If CI means GitHub CI,
the implication is that GitHub chooses for us what platforms get to be
Tier 1, currently only a couple recent versions each of Linux (Ubuntu
only apparently), Windows, and macOS.[1] If this narrow restriction
for Tier 1 is intentional, perhaps we should be more explicit about
it.

In theory, one can have a CI runner on an OS that is not provided by
GitHub, but to do it you have to use the runner application from
<https://github.com/actions/runner>.  That is a C# / .NET Core
application, which as far as I know doesn't really get you any more
platforms than the GitHub-hosted runners except for some non-Ubuntu
Linux variants plus possibly older versions of the supported
platforms.[2]

These observations are based on reading the GitHub docs, not on
experience, so people who know better should correct me if I've got
this wrong.

If automated test reports generated by Test::Smoke count as CI, then
you can ignore what I said in the preceding paragraphs. But then CI
seems like the wrong thing to call it since we would then have
continuous integration without the integration part.

[1] <https://docs.github.com/en/actions/using-github-hosted-runners/about-github-hosted-runners>

[2] There does appear to be a FreeBSD port of .NET Core:
<https://github.com/jasonpugsley/installer/wiki/.Net-Core-3.0.0-for-FreeBSD>.
I have no idea whether it's adequate for the runner application
mentioned above, or whether it's likely to stay adequate reliably.