Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Andy Dougherty
Date:
June 17, 2021 13:31
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
20210617133027.GA26377@dendrite.phys.lafayette.edu
On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 04:17:08PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> I wrote up some thoughts on this, which ended up in a Google doc so I could iterate with Nick and then Rik.

> You can see and comment on the document:
> 	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RdBT0T6c61yYlOhtcgU9RFHB0pxXcnEhDsdW8hRteOc/edit?usp=sharing

[I have never found commenting in the margins of Google docs to be a useful way
to have a conversation, so I'm posting here instead.)

Under Tier 4, the phrase

    We won't accept patches (unless we're expecting/want it to move up)

seems unnecessarily unfriendly.  If a patch is simple and unobtrusive,
I'd hope we would accept it.  If it's an invasive patch, of course, some
hesitancy before applying would certainly be appropriate.  Also, if we
won't accept patches, then how can you get from new/unkown to known?
How do you find other users of a new platform who might want to build
perl?  I'd hope perl itself could be that place.

More broadly, the issue of the complexity of support for a platform
should probably be relevant, and I fear it will make the whole business
of defined support tiers much more complicated.

--
    Andy Dougherty		doughera@lafayette.edu