Re: Bug reports from WinXP?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 17, 2021 09:18
Re: Bug reports from WinXP?
Message ID:
20210617091804.GG16703@etla.org
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 11:39:35AM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM Wolf-Dietrich Moeller (Munchen) <
> wolf-dietrich_moeller@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems that I am cut off from submitting bug reports since the closure
> > of 'perlbug@perl.org'.
> >
> > Having only access to WinXP, I can read github issues, but github does not
> > support account creation from any browser on WinXP. Thus I cannot submit
> > anything (or write any comment to an existing issue).

"only access" implies that you can't even boot your machine from a USB stick
to run a Linux live image to create an account?
(Or use a smartphone, maybe a friend's, to create an account?)

and then use those account credentials on the XP machine to log in?

(It's not clear whether GitHub forbids login on any XP browser. I can't test
this, and I guess you can't either, as you don't have an account (yet))

> > Is there any alternative way?
> >

> The alternative is sending a message to the perl5-porters list as you have
> done, and hoping that someone is generous enough to open an issue in your
> stead.

Yes, this is the best way.

It would also be useful to send perl -V output in the bug report.
(please remove the hostnames - it's the compiler version and similar that is
interesting)

> Note that Windows XP is out of support since April 8, 2014, and likely
> subject to countless unpatched vulnerabilities at this point.

It does seem really risky using XP on any machine that's permitted to
connect to the Internet. If I had to use it* I'd really want it just doing
that task, and it as firewalled as possible.

Nicholas Clark

* eg an ex-work previous door entry system only ran on Windows 2000. So that
  was kept as locked down as possible, until the door locks were finally
  replaced with newer hardware. That assumed Windows 7. That would be out of
  support well before the hardware would die...