Re: RFC - Issue a warning "-np better written as -p"

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 17, 2021 06:18
Re: RFC - Issue a warning "-np better written as -p"
Message ID:
20210617061824.GD16703@etla.org
On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 08:41:06AM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> 2021-6-16 17:51 Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>
> > https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18641 becomes our next test RFC.
> >

> This idea is not so bad.
>
> Has anyone actually specified both -n and -p options?

If one follows the links to codesearch.debian.net in one of the other
messages in the thread, which my browser history thinks are:

https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=perl.*-np&literal=0
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=perl.*-w.*-np&literal=0

There are 6 pages of results for the first, and one for the second.

Of course, these are only searching for specifically -np, and can have
false positives.

(For example I think that the results for fftw3 are a false positive - the
'-w' seems to be for perl, and the '-np' for something invoked via perl)

To get everything would require lots of permutations of searches (-pn,
-p -n, -n -p)

So yes, there are calls with -n and -p

What's not clear is

1) How many there are once the false positives go
2) How many are also invoked with -w

Nicholas Clark