Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Tomasz Konojacki
Date:
June 17, 2021 01:21
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
20210617032107.4938.5C4F47F8@xenu.pl
On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 22:52:06 +0100
Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> See what you think: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17DuECm3Rs9NWK15JBbJTpFgPxa2lgd9Y89NCtS-ThSk/edit?usp=sharing

My problem with that list is that it doesn't address operating system
*versions*. Windows is listed as just "Windows", what does it mean for
e.g. Windows XP?

Anyway, here are my comments about some of the platforms:

>catamount.sh (Catamount is an OS for supercomputers)

Tier 4, no one is using legacy supercomputers.

>greenhills.sh - not sure if this refers to the Greenhills C compiler, or the Greenhills real-time operating system Integrity-178

Just like you, I have no idea what this hints file is for, so Tier 4.

>i386.sh – is this for OpenBSD i386?

It isn't for OpenBSD and it's hard to tell what is was meant for,
probably some SCO unix. It should be removed.

Some context after digging through the git history: back in Perl4 days,
one of the ways how Configure was picking a hints file was using the
fifth field of `uname -a`, which on some platforms contains the
architecture (like i386):

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/e334a159a5616cab575044bafaf68f75b7bb3a16/Configure#L785

It is still examining that field, but it isn't using it directly as a
filename component and it's limited to a few choices:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/blob/f8058fd524d40ef43e9d826eb61b863b26f9e73f/Configure#L3422

>ncr_tower.sh - NCR Tower systems ran a variant of System V. I can't find much current stuff about this, so can it be dropped?

Tier 4.

>opus.sh – Opus was a microkernel that followed on from the Pink operating system at Apple, which also led to TalOS.

After a bit of googling, I think that TalOS and Pink were never released
publicly, so it's *probably* for something else, but I have no idea what
it would be. Also, note that "mpc.sh" is identical and was added at the
same time. Both belong in Tier 4.

>stellar.sh - is this Stellar Mate OS?

No, StellarMate OS is a Linux distribution and it definitely wasn't
around in 1991. No idea what it is, so Tier 4.

>unicos.sh - UNICOS is a range of Unix-like operating systems for Cray supercomputers, now based on Linux.

Tier 4, no one is using legacy supercomputers.

>uwin.sh - it says this is for "Unix for Windows", but is this the hint file used for Windows? In which case it's tier 1!

UWIN was a competitor to Cygwin, the last release was in 2012 and it never
was popular to begin with. Tier 4 IMO (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UWIN)