Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
June 16, 2021 03:13
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
d7327030-c109-67d9-8c72-7b50973d299a@pobox.com
On 6/15/21 3:44 PM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> Hi Kimoto-san,
>
>     Can you tell me more details about this. I can't understand the
>     meanings. tier is difficult word to understand for me.
>

> I’ll try and describe the problem, and what we want to do.
>
> Perl builds on many different operating systems (OSes). In the hints
> directory[1] you’ll find 82 hints files, for 70 different named OSes.
> Beyond a hints file, the OS may be checked with $^O in the testsuite,
> and there may be #ifdef’s in the C code. And maybe even an object file
> included in the Perl distribution!
>
> But not all of those platforms are equal. Linux is widely used, and we
> put a lot of effort into making sure it builds and passes all tests. But
> for some OSes we don’t even know whether 5.34.0 will build on it – some
> hints files were last edited years ago.
>
> *Tiers*
>
> We want to define a number of "levels" or "tiers" of support. I’ll
> describe one possibility below, based on what’s in the document I shared[2].
>
> The top tier is those platforms we’d consider "battled-tested", to
> borrow Curtis’s phrase: Linux, Windows, MacOS, and maybe one or two
> more? For these platforms we have reliable CI testing whenever something
> is committed to blead, and core developers have access to them. We
> consider Perl to be very reliable on these. We’d try and ensure good
> coverage on CPAN Testers as well, for example.

FreeBSD and OpenBSD must be considered top-tier.  For example, perl is
so integral to OpenBSD that it is part of the "base" system, i.e., it is
not a port/package.

I would like to put NetBSD in the same category -- except that I/we
don't really *know* anyone we can reliably contact in the NetBSD project
to communicate with.  This is sad, especially since, in a certain sense,
NetBSD is the "oldest" of the *BSDs.  So NetBSD, for the time being,
would not qualify for tier 1.  But we still do better there than on ...

DragonflyBSD I would not put in the top tier.  We have only one person
sending smoke-test reports (Carlos, of course).  I have not been able to
get a Dragonfly VM working.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan
Jim Keenan