Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 15, 2021 19:00
Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for
Message ID:
6c4d2c84-d2d6-4db4-bce1-d577ed412b2d@beta.fastmail.com
On Tue, Jun 15, 2021, at 12:13 AM, Tony Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 09:22:10AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > 2) Should it issue an experimental warning?
>
> I think it should at least have an experimental warning, mostly as a
> "coders haven't beating on the implementation for N years, there might
> be bugs" warning.

I think this could be marked experimental in v5.36 and, most likely, not experimental in v5.38.  It would be okay, and I wouldn't object.

That said, I'll point out that "experimental" warnings are there because they might *change*, and not because they might have bugs.  I don't believe we're likely to make incompatible changes with the syntax proposed, but I also think that one experimental version is a reasonable position to take.  In general, though, I'd rather we just say "This feature is new and while we've tested it enough to feel good, it may have bugs not caught until it gets executed a few billion times."

--
rjbs