Re: RFC: define meta operator

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 15, 2021 18:47
Re: RFC: define meta operator
Message ID:
b09c0827-79e1-4d5a-9bc2-2dc4bb900e19@beta.fastmail.com
On Sat, Jun 12, 2021, at 4:12 PM, Branislav Zahradník wrote:
> Title: Assign meta operator

I have read this now.

I found it very difficult to evaluate, because I didn't feel there was, to me, a very clear statement of the specific problems to be solved, as opposed to the specific keywords that might be introduced.  (Also, I'm not sure I saw how this related to what PL theory calls "context oriented programming".  Possibly it is not meant to.)

The core of your proposal appears to be two things:

1. a new mechanism for attaching a new attribute-like property to data elements
2. some specific semantics for specifically named attributes

…but I think that, in isolation, it's just too abstract.  "I want some new syntax to do something to solve a bunch of problems that are unified by some principle that has not been clearly stated in the proposal."  This feels like it should be a semantics-forward proposal, but it's been presented much more syntax-forward.

Also, as a side note, don't forget the wisdom of Larry Wall:
> The first rule of computer language design is that everybody wants the colon.

You're shooting for some high-value syntax there.  It's going to be a hard sell.

--
rjbs