Re: deprecating non-default postderef_qq

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
June 15, 2021 17:56
Re: deprecating non-default postderef_qq
Message ID:
0d5cb83b-fe8d-46c0-8974-0ebf954b2fbd@beta.fastmail.com
On Sun, May 23, 2021, at 12:23 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> That said, I believe this is a very niche feature that we are better served by eliminating.  To do this, I propose:
>  * In 5.36.0:  We make cases where postderef_qq would occur, if not for the feature being off, issue a deprecation warning, but act as before.  That is:  "Eat more $pies->@{ $x }" will interpolate $pies and @$x but also warn.  User can eliminate the warning by changing their code to read "Eat more $pies\->@{ $x }".

I would like to hereby a branch that makes this happen.  I believe the work (at a very high level) is:
 * add a deprecation warning when the "no feature 'postderef_qq'" behavior is triggered
 * make sure the perldiag entry indicates how to fix the error while keeping the old behavior
 * test updates
--
rjbs