Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for

From:
=?UTF-8?Q?Branislav_Zahradn=C3=ADk?=
Date:
June 15, 2021 11:19
Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for
Message ID:
CAB=rbOmZWZm42=j6Yo=p3WkDBoWzbpaNFakve8y7Lv5r-3D-VQ@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 at 12:09, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilmari.org>
wrote:

> Of course it doesn't work on older perls that don't support the feature,
> that's not what we mean by "conflict".  We mean that it doesn't conflict
> with (and change the meaning of) existing valid syntax.
>
> The point of feature.pm is to be able to opt-in to behaviour or syntax
> that might change the meaning of existing programs.
>
> Ths feature does not change the behaviour of existing programs, so no
> feature flag is needed.  It should still have an experimental-category
> warning, though.
>
> - ilmari

Be polite to your customers.

Allowing new syntax only with "use v5.xx" guard prevents situation when
your code
starts to break after OS upgrade (downgrade) on syntax error.

Hiding new syntax behind new guard says to managers (if they are listen to
they programmers)
hey, perl is not dead, there is new version, we should upgrade ... (ideally
without refactoring)

So imho message:
this is perl 5,8, you need at least 5.99 is better then "syntax error at"