Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for

From:
ilmari
Date:
June 15, 2021 10:09
Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for
Message ID:
871r93jv73.fsf@wibble.ilmari.org
Branislav ZahradnĂ­k <happy.barney@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 at 17:28, Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 5:23 AM Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
>>
>>> There are 4 open issues that I can see, that I'm not sure about:
>>>
>>> 1) Should this be behind a feature guard?
>>>

>> Since the current proposed syntax has no conflicts, I don't think this is
>> needed.
>>

> Wrong
>
> It has conflicts, with every perl before one implementing it.
> Therefore it should required at least bundle specification

Of course it doesn't work on older perls that don't support the feature,
that's not what we mean by "conflict".  We mean that it doesn't conflict
with (and change the meaning of) existing valid syntax.

The point of feature.pm is to be able to opt-in to behaviour or syntax
that might change the meaning of existing programs.

Ths feature does not change the behaviour of existing programs, so no
feature flag is needed.  It should still have an experimental-category
warning, though.

- ilmari