Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
June 14, 2021 09:41
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
op.04y06yweydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
Gotta admit these questions are odd to me. I'm not currently in any of these situations for Perl, but the answers seem obvious to me.

On Fri, 28 May 2021 10:12:10 +0200, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> Yes, that's a fair point. If your OS is out of security support, you can't
> be in the habit of wanting to "upgrade" that, because you simply can't.
> So why are you then expecting to upgrade Perl.

1. Because upgrading an *Operating System* is often a lot more work than replacing one component like Perl. Often prohibitively so. Even on linux people often stick with older versions because of this hurdle.

2. Sometimes an OS is abandoned but there is no useful replacement. For example i still update software on my PS Vita (a platform with only a single OS) despite the fact that the last time the OS saw a update that wasn't "block jailbreaks" was 2015. Similarly the Amiga is still in active use by a lot of people despite the OS maker having disappeared decades ago.

> We had the same sort of confused arguments some time ago, indirectly
> forwarded to me. It was roughly "but they want to be able to build the
> current Catalyst from CPAN and run in on 5.8.whatever". Implied IIRC was
> "including new XS code from CPAN".
>
> And my return question was "could you ask them why, if they are happy
> to build XS modules from source, for code with no real guarantees, they
> are not happy to build perl from source?"

There may be unstated factors here, but uh ... because building and installing XS modules is fully automated in CPAN, while doing that with perl is a lot more daunting?

I've built and smoked perl on Windows and worked on that enough to get consistent green (not that anyone seemed to care), but i have no idea how to get from there to a working install and know i would need to learn more.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde