Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl

From:
mah.kitteh via perl5-porters
Date:
June 14, 2021 08:39
Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl
Message ID:
n2NuJVRWM7pcCv_o89dNdIU-bUAshA5pD7zSFRBMNP2Bak8etvHfXC7JUDW74_YV5J1JvbMbULiD3hfc07IOVxsC0mKh553QbRn3pDEjlw0=@protonmail.ch
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Monday, June 14th, 2021 at 1:53 AM, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 07:12:51AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> > Thank you for wasting my time.

> My statement here was inappropriate. It's not a good example from anyone,
> let alone someone supposed to be showing leadership. Brett replied privately
> to me, politely and without any sarcasm or other failings that I made in
> public. I commend him on keeping a cooler head under pressure than I do.
> Everyone makes mistakes. (Clearly I just demonstrated this)
> I don't want people to think that mistakes, unpopular opinions, or anything
> else is not tolerated, and hence be afraid to contribute. That would be the
> death of discussion, and the resulting groupthink would be ultimately kill
> Perl.

Thank you. I must admit, my reply to you was not quite devoid of sarcasm. You're
welcome to share it. I appreciate the noble characterization, though.

> However there are four or five individuals who seem to have more confidence
> in their opinions than their reasoning should warrant, and often generate a
> large amount of list traffic with a lower density of useful input. These
> messages take considerable time and patience to meaningfully respond to. At
> times, about 1% of the subscriber base can generate 10% of the list volume,
> which spreads the actionable content very thin. That this keeps happening
> gets extremely frustrating.

This is a "well know" phenomenon. It's related to the 80/20 rule. Not sure what
to suggest be done about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%25_rule_(Internet_culture)

Anyway, thank you for the email. No harm no foul. I am quite excited about the
RFC program and want to see it get firmly established. Thanks for all you do.

Cheers,
Brett