Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 14, 2021 06:53
Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl
Message ID:
20210614065333.GO16703@etla.org
On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 07:12:51AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> Thank you for wasting my time.

My statement here was inappropriate. It's not a good example from anyone,
let alone someone supposed to be showing leadership. Brett replied privately
to me, politely and without any sarcasm or other failings that I made in
public. I commend him on keeping a cooler head under pressure than I do.

Everyone makes mistakes. (Clearly I just demonstrated this)

I don't want people to think that mistakes, unpopular opinions, or anything
else is not tolerated, and hence be afraid to contribute. That would be the
death of discussion, and the resulting groupthink would be ultimately kill
Perl.

However there are four or five individuals who seem to have more confidence
in their opinions than their reasoning should warrant, and often generate a
large amount of list traffic with a lower density of useful input. These
messages take considerable time and patience to meaningfully respond to. At
times, about 1% of the subscriber base can generate 10% of the list volume,
which spreads the actionable content very thin. That this keeps happening
gets extremely frustrating.

To be clear - I'm not saying that anyone's contribution is worthless. Far
from it - I know that several individuals who at times frustrate myself and
others have also had useful insights that no-one else has had, or reported
bugs where the reaction was "oops, that's not good, we had better fix that
quickly". When names are mentioned in private conversations, I make sure
that I defend their virtues too, and am clear that I don't want to cut
*anyone* out.

It feels that to be on the PSC you're expected to have the patience of a
saint, the wisdom of Solomon, ... a bunch more clich├ęs ... infinite time and
infinite stamina. Whereas, like Soylent Green, the PSC is made of people.
Just 3 people. It's like we're three bartenders in a large rowdy bar, trying
to maintain the atmosphere and keep everyone happy, where it always seems
like it's on the cusp of a fist fight breaking out. If that's your unpaid
side hustle 7 days a week, it can get draining.

Humans can't live up to these expectations, and eventually their patience
frays.

On balance, I still believe that I am net force for good, and anyone reading
the list archives would reach the same conclusion.

Nicholas Clark