Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 11, 2021 19:33
Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl
Message ID:
20210611193312.GP16931@etla.org
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 09:12:11AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> > On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 10:10 PM Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
> >
> > Two points:
> > >
> > >    1. Just because you can’t implement something, doesn’t mean you
> > >    shouldn’t suggest it. We expect lots of ideas to come from people who are
> > >    using Perl every day, regardless of whether they can hack on the core. But
> > >    even if an idea is universally liked, it still needs someone to implement
> > >    it, and we don’t have too many of those.
> > >    2. The first step is to post your idea to p5p, and only move to an RFC
> > >    if it survives any discussion there.

> > https://github.com/MoarVM/MoarVM/pull/1472 .

> I don't think that I need to duplicate anything I already wrote there.

Three things that weren't mentioned there that are relevant

1) Ryū is actually dual licensed Apache 2 | Boost
2) In theory https://github.com/ulfjack/ryu/blob/master/ryu/Makefile
   and the C are portable - in practice there was at least one 32 bit Linux
   platform that I couldn't built the entire tree on. I forget which, and I
   don't want to go for an exhaustive search, but I *think* that it was the
   128 bit version not building "everywhere"
3) The 64 bit version *is* portable - I've just built MoarVM etc with it on
   Sparc Solaris with Sun's compiler. (So an exacting 64 bit big endian
   system)

So at least some of it likely is totally portable for us. But I suspect we
can't do long doubles and quad on some platforms, and maybe *no-one* has
tested quad on big endian platforms before. Or VMS :-)

(let alone QNX or some of the other fun things BinGOs can throw at us)

> Looking a bit further at the Ryū repository I realised that there were
> a couple of things to discuss on the PSC, so I stuck it on the agenda for
> Friday, and I wasn't going to comment until then. Meanwhile, Neil also
> replied...

The summary is - "go for it".

So at to the RFC process that we are beta testing...

* You mailed an idea to p5p
* No-one has raised any show-stopper problems
* "we think this idea is worth exploring"
* So please submit a Draft RFC - the ID 0002 is now yours
* I guess you are "Author" and I am "Sponsor"

I'm not quite sure *how* that's going to work, as you're now the brave first
tester of this, and the template is really for language changes. It's at

https://github.com/Perl/RFCs/blob/master/docs/template.md

1) I don't know if all the sections are really relevant here.
2) You might need to add some more if they seem relevant

I guess try to sketch out the contents for Preamble, Motivation, Rational
and Backwards Compatibility, and mail that back to the list. But if that's a
daft idea, or you get stuck, mail back with why it's not working out and we
(well, at least I) will try to help.

Nicholas Clark