Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 11, 2021 15:11
Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for
Message ID:
20210611151147.GG16703@etla.org
Your entire message arrives as:

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 09:52:59AM -0500, David Nicol wrote:
> Rule 2 violation!
>
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:32 AM <hv@crypt.org> wrote:
>
> > Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > :On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 01:54:22PM +0100, hv@crypt.org wrote:
> > :>
>
> --
> "Lay off that whiskey, and let that cocaine be!" -- Johnny Cash

You don't actually quote enough for the comment to make sense to me.
I'm guessing

Rule 1: Larry is always right
Rule 2: Larry is allowed to change his mind

and a rule 2 violation would be a concept of "permanent rejection" given
that that *appears* to preclude changing one's mind.

If so, I'm not convinced that it is, because Larry (or the successor to
the BDFL, the Benevolent elected For a-term-at-a-time (in triplicate))
would change his mind (its hive-mind) when presented with new evidence,
or if re-evaluating something and discovering a mistake.

In the absence of new evidence, a competent BDFL (or hive mind) will
have feel for how confident it is that the existing decision is correct
based on the currently available evidence.

Or did I guess wrong and this is about something else?

eg - it was a *Law* of Language Redesign that Larry got the colon.
(Law 1, I found soon after mailing) was "Everyone wants the colon"
and Hugo's mailer is quoting with colons

If so, I guess this confusion is rather like:

Sturgeon's Law:         "nothing is always absolutely so"
Sturgeon's Revelation:  "ninety percent of everything is crap"

Nicholas Clark