Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 11, 2021 09:06
Re: RFC: Multiple-alias syntax for for
Message ID:
20210611090611.GD16703@etla.org
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 01:54:22PM +0100, hv@crypt.org wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> : ## Rejected Ideas
> :
> :+### Permit `undef` in the list of scalars

> I'd like to add a vote for this to move from "rejected" to something
> like "possible future extension", to capture the notion that "if we were
> to support semantics like this, this is the syntax we'd want to use,
> but we don't plan to support this for the first draft of the feature".

Yes, you're right. I failed to figure this out for myself when writing that
this particular decision was "subjective" and that I might be wrong on it.

It's not the same as the other things listed below it, which (likely) we
don't want to revisit.

Paul has also reached the same conclusion thinking about try/catch as an
RFC. So it's now in a section "Future Scope"

> More generally, I think we should be slow to use "rejected" in this
> context: as part of the record of an RFC process, that at least
> somewhat implies "rejected for ever" - we're never going to want this
> in the language. Certainly it sounds stronger than "I've chosen not
> to put that in the first implementation".
>
> (I do appreciate that all the information is there in the detail.
> I just worry that labels tend to be sticky.)

Yes. Does splitting things between "Future Scope" and "Rejected Ideas"
cover this? Or do need different names for "NO WAI!!" and "Out of Scope"?

> The additional implication is that we should have tests in the first
> implementation to assert that the extended syntax remains a syntax
> error.

That's a really good point, here and generally. Thanks.

(I'd missed this line in my first skim of your message. I'm going to update
the template to suggest this.)

Nicholas Clark