Re: quadmath with 32 bit ints

From:
sisyphus
Date:
June 10, 2021 14:22
Re: quadmath with 32 bit ints
Message ID:
CADZSBj0Y7qjR=yWnxMnRwm=_rCOEqx081hVpa6bv0Z6G9t1WEQ@mail.gmail.com
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 4:48 PM Peter John Acklam <pjacklam@gmail.com>
wrote:

I saw the patch, but I wanted to see if I could modify the existing logic
> to handle this case too, rather than making this a special case.

I also spent some time trying (unsuccessfully) to have the existing logic
handle this case.
Eventually, I decided that, given the rarity of perls with 4-byte IVs and
16-byte NVs, we could get away with simply nominating values of $e and $int
that work.

For this perl configuration, using this particular patch, we still work our
way through that "existing logic" but then simply discard the result of it.
If we're going to discard the result, it would be smarter to not work
through the "existing logic" in the first place.
However, I think the savings to be made by being "smarter" in this way
would be immeasurably minute anyway ... so I'll leave it up to you, Peter,
as to how much trouble you want to go to.

Cheers,
Rob