Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
June 10, 2021 00:38
Re: Creating an RFC process for Perl
Message ID:
20210610003533.GF3719@venus.tony.develop-help.com
On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 08:26:42AM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> 2021-6-9 21:11 Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Rob,
> >
> > Given that I probably won't ever be in a position to provide a PR that
> > implements this, should I therefore refrain from making such an RFC ?
> >

> > Two points:
> >
> >    1. Just because you can’t implement something, doesn’t mean you
> >    shouldn’t suggest it. We expect lots of ideas to come from people who are
> >    using Perl every day, regardless of whether they can hack
> >

> Paul is active in adding grammar and can actually implement it.
>
> I feel that he is the only one who can do that now in the Perl Core team
> considering the situation up to now.
>
> If we want to add grammar, we need to search for the point that Paul's
> motivation and our consensus matches .

Adding grammar isn't all that hard*, I've done it in limited ways to
fix a bug.

Nicholas didn't seem to have much problem in producing the grammar
changes for his foreach change.

The hard part is deciding the behaviour to implement and the
lack of process in actually getting it into perl.

This RFC process should help with both parts, since we didn't really
have a process beyond "commit if you have a commit bit".

Tony

* relative to any other code having to deal with the OP tree and internals