Re: use warnings ':most'

From:
Eric Brine
Date:
June 6, 2021 06:38
Re: use warnings ':most'
Message ID:
CALJW-qGELru_nNeLwODgx8eRHT4eh1x5CKG+BM=RHGBydb_OCQ@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 7:02 PM Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to propose to add a new warning category, tentatively named
> "most". This would include everything in :all except warnings that are
> likely to give false positives. In 5.36 that would be :all minus 'once'

"once" is exactly the kind of warning a newcomer should have enabled.

A user performing advanced symbol table manipulation has no problems
turning off "once" when needed.

Secondly, I want «use warnings» without a tag to do :most instead of :all

This is backwards incompatible, and it hurts newcomers.

The advanced user will know to use :most if that's what they want. The
newcomer is suddenly told about fewer likely problems.