Re: use warnings ':most'

From:
David Cantrell
Date:
June 3, 2021 12:54
Re: use warnings ':most'
Message ID:
20210603123330.GA15991@bytemark.barnyard.co.uk
On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 01:02:25AM +0200, Leon Timmermans wrote:

> I would like to propose to add a new warning category, tentatively named
> "most". This would include everything in :all except warnings that are
> likely to give false positives. In 5.36 that would be :all minus 'once',
> but I can imagine more warnings being added to :all in the future that
> wouldn't be appropriate for :most.
>
> Secondly, I want «use warnings» without a tag to do :most instead of :all,
> and likewise «use 5.36;».

While I think that a 'most' category is a good idea, I'm not so sure
that we could get agreement on what should be in it!

And now that we have negative imports on the warnings pragma is it
needed so much?

Your preferred 'most' can be expressed as ...

    use warnings qw(all -once);

My preferred 'most' can be expressed as ...

    use warnings qw(all -redefine -experimental::signatures);

--
David Cantrell | semi-evolved ape-thing

  Irregular English:
    ladies glow; gentlemen perspire; brutes, oafs and athletes sweat