Re: use warnings ':most'

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
June 2, 2021 23:21
Re: use warnings ':most'
Message ID:
20210603002047.61dd8707@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Thu, 3 Jun 2021 01:02:25 +0200
Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to propose to add a new warning category, tentatively
> named "most". This would include everything in :all except warnings
> that are likely to give false positives. In 5.36 that would be :all
> minus 'once', but I can imagine more warnings being added to :all in
> the future that wouldn't be appropriate for :most.
>
> Secondly, I want «use warnings» without a tag to do :most instead of
> :all, and likewise «use 5.36;».
>
> Leon

An excellent idea.

In fact it was an excellent idea in 2015 when RJBS suggested it:

  https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2015/10/msg231858.html

Twice

  https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2015/06/msg228400.html

Nay, three times:

  https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2015/01/msg225066.html

and other times by other people going back years.

I agreed back then and I agree now.

Maybe this time around we'll get it off the ground? Good luck...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans