Re: use warnings ':most'

From:
Dan Book
Date:
June 2, 2021 23:08
Re: use warnings ':most'
Message ID:
CABMkAVXi-N+pzN6pP=A8o-N-Y5TVEFkkQsPsfdXTSiR-F5R1AA@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 7:02 PM Leon Timmermans <fawaka@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to propose to add a new warning category, tentatively named
> "most". This would include everything in :all except warnings that are
> likely to give false positives. In 5.36 that would be :all minus 'once',
> but I can imagine more warnings being added to :all in the future that
> wouldn't be appropriate for :most.
>
> Secondly, I want «use warnings» without a tag to do :most instead of :all,
> and likewise «use 5.36;».

+1. The same design needed for this can allow adding optional warnings
which are not enabled by "use warnings" or "use vX" but can be explicitly
requested. I think whether it uses the existing 'all' name is an
implementation detail because that name is rarely used by users. Previous
discussion: https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18543

-Dan