Re: Benchmarking Pure Perl Trim Functions.

From:
Joseph Brenner
Date:
June 1, 2021 20:21
Re: Benchmarking Pure Perl Trim Functions.
Message ID:
CAFfgvXUDgC-Gg0cAq+onkNeGhLrhbyOkfY1P1wuXHEmgvpOKvQ@mail.gmail.com
Philip R Brenan<philiprbrenan@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I urge that this shows that the Perl ecosystem works well as is - in the highly unlikely that one really needs a faster trim function there are  good solutions immediately available on CPAN.

I think you can certainly make the point that the
performance of trim solutions isn't usually a huge
bottleneck, but my take from this discussion is the
opposite of yours: when they need to do a trim even in this day and
age, experienced perl programmers are evidently still
reaching for excessively complex solutions that don't work
all that well.  Having a good solution built into core
would be a definite improvement, albeit a small one.