Re: use v5.36; use warnings;

From:
L A Walsh
Date:
May 29, 2021 02:50
Re: use v5.36; use warnings;
Message ID:
60B1ABB5.7040309@tlinx.org
On 2021/05/28 15:54, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> I'm torn on whether I think it should behave like the "use vX" behavior of strict, whereby "no strict; use v5.30" does NOT enable strictures.
----
    the behavior of "use vX behavior or strict, whereby
  'no strict; use v5.30' does NOT enable strictures.

    I'm confused, last I heard about 'strict' was that there was an option
in the *configuration* of 5.34 to toggle on 'strict' by default.  The
comment
there was:

    This setting provides a diagnostic mechanism intended for development
    purposes only and is thus undefined by default.

---
    So what is this about "use vX" behavior where, when one has "no strict"
before a "use vX" that strictures are NOT enabled?  Specifically, does
that imply that a "use vX" without "no strict before it" DOES enable
strictures?

    That seems to be a large jump ahead of defining a developmental
configuration option to default them to "on".

    In addition to what seems to be "defaulting to strict" under "use Vx"
in "[some?]" version of perl you are asking if warnings should be on as
well?

    If strictures are on by default, does that mean they are fatal as they
are now?

    OB semantics:
how would 'use vX' know there was a "no strict" before the use
statement, vs. there being no "use strict"?

Before commenting on anything else, I hope the above is clarified...