Re: Revisiting trim

From:
mah.kitteh via perl5-porters
Date:
May 27, 2021 17:09
Re: Revisiting trim
Message ID:
KB3Ljcb7zBcGJpM1eW_0li9IN7IWAmnlwQQFwVb04-8yh-AfocozwOQZSyROLScIvTX7532ggvK5RJgZ4WT7mTy5zNrXWLM8GBW7mSWAbAc=@protonmail.ch
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Thursday, May 27, 2021 11:59 AM, Tomasz Konojacki <me@xenu.pl> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2021 16:44:42 +0000
> "mah.kitteh via perl5-porters" perl5-porters@perl.org wrote:
>
> > This is quite presumptuous. There has been no conversation on where to place this. It's very concerning to me that there has also been very little discussion about "where" to place this "single" (yeah right) core feature. At this point, and mainly due to the pressure and rush being applied to this, my general concern as I said last night is not necessarily "trim" as the POC is currently implemented; but what comes after "trim" and how it's handed - string related or not. So what's the rush? No rush exists other than the proof of concept work facing potential bit rot. That's not really perl's problem.
>
> There was a lot of conversation. There are literallyhundreds of posts
> about trim on p5p and github. The discussion has been going for almost a
> year now.
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/17952
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/17999
>
> In chronological order:
>
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/07/msg258058.html
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2020/11/msg258544.html
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/02/msg259118.html
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/03/msg259427.html
> https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/03/msg259615.html

I am aware of those, but I appreciate you taking the time to provide the links.

What I can't seem to find is the conversation on why it needs to be implemented at such a low level. If I understood this particular piece with some clarity then I'd be happy to never post about "trim" again.

Cheers,
Brett