Now that Perl v5.34 has been released let's talk about Perl.next

From:
Scott Baker
Date:
May 26, 2021 17:04
Subject:
Now that Perl v5.34 has been released let's talk about Perl.next
Message ID:
74af5220-0093-b55b-6159-30bf085dc817@perturb.org
I'm not a core contributor or developer so I don't know how much my
opinion really matters... but here are some things I'd really like to
see in Perl v5.36.

      1. |trim()| finally lands

This has been a pull-request since Jul 27th 2020. I'd really like to
come to some conclusion on this so I can clear up the mental bandwidth
to do other things.

      2. Sub-routine signatures made non-experimental and enabled via
      |use v5.36|

There was brief talk about making signatures non-experimental for v5.34
but we didn't have enough time. I believe the general consensus was to
do it, but we ran out of time. Let's finally launch signatures. *Six*
years as experimental is enough. We can always improve them later if
need. They should also be enabled with |use v5.36|.

      3. Warnings enabled with |use v5.36|

Along with #2 this was briefly discussed but we ran out of time. Seems
like a no-brainer to enable this with |use v5.36|. Honestly I'm
surprised we don't already do this.

      4. |--long-words| for Perl interpreter

As we approach Perl 7+ we're running out of single letters that are
available for |perlrun|. It would give us a lot more flexibility moving
forward to enable full words as arguments for the Perl interpreter itself.

      5. We need a better debug printer in CORE. Promote |Data::Dump| to
      a dual-life core module

Literally every Perl developer I spoke with said they use |Data::Dump|
instead of |Data::Dumper| for debug printing. |Data::Dump| is a better
debug printer, and (for my use cases) better in every way. We need
better debug printing in CORE.

Personally I use |Data::Dump::Color| but I'd settle for the monochrome
version in CORE. Anything is better than |Data::Dumper|.

      6. Figure out "JSON"

I'm tired of explaining Perl's funky JSON support to new users.
|JSON::MaybeXS|? |Cpanel::JSON::XS|? |JSON::PP|? Can we just make |JSON|
dual-life in CORE and then new users can just |use JSON| and it will work?

|JSON::PP| is probably fine for 98% of use cases, and is already core.
If a user needs faster JSON we can just tell them to install a XS JSON
module and it will just work (tm) with |use JSON|.

Here's to a prosperous 2021 for Perl.

- Scottchiefbaker