Re: PSC #021 2021-05-21

From:
Tony Cook
Date:
May 25, 2021 05:21
Re: PSC #021 2021-05-21
Message ID:
20210525052047.GU3719@venus.tony.develop-help.com
On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 03:30:24PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> Rik suggested that in this day and age Perl should really handle
  https, so we talked about that. Step 1 would be for Configure to
  notice that you've got openssl installed, so we could install
  Net::SSLeay for you. Even better would be if we could have
  IO::Socket::SSL included as well, so HTTP::Tiny could do https "out
  of the box". Possible 3rd step might be bundling openssl/libressl,
  but one step at a time. We'll talk about this some more.

I suspect on Win32 it would be simpler to use Win32::Internet (or
something that wraps the same APIs), of course there would need to be
another wrapper that selects that on Win32 and HTTP::Tiny otherwise.

Another option would be an IO::Socket::SSL compatible wrapper around
the Win32 crypto API, but this would be a lot more effort.

Either has the advantage that it uses the Windows certificate store,
which I think is more likely to be kept up to date than other sources.

Tony