Re: Two further features, one definitely needed for survival, otherlikely needed.

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 24, 2021 16:30
Re: Two further features, one definitely needed for survival, otherlikely needed.
Message ID:
20210524163004.GE16703@etla.org
On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 06:20:37PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Nicholas Clark writes:

> > So we can't offer an stable ABI.
>
> I hope you didn't want to say that the .z part of the versioning is
> going to go away.  But if you stop making at least the promise that you
> don't knowingly break ABI compatibility in minor releases then I'd
> suggest you drop that part of the versioning to make it clear to
> everybody what is going on.  Whether anyone left holding the bag will
> pick up after that (what about security patches etc.) remains to be
> seen.

I wasn't clear at all. Sorry. It was in the context of what Linda was
suggesting we change/improve, and I meant

"So we can't offer a stable ABI across 5.34.z => 5.36.z => 5.40.z"
(or whatever they end up being called)

ie "we can't make any more ABI guarantees than what we currently do for
.z releases"

Nicholas Clark