PSC #021 2021-05-21

From:
Neil Bowers
Date:
May 23, 2021 15:41
Subject:
PSC #021 2021-05-21
Message ID:
46457b19-7866-48f3-a2e1-46ce2d86e172@Spark
Nick, Rick, and Neil present.

Rik: "cry havoc and let slip the dogs of change". I.e. he has released 5.35.0, so we're keen to see things starting to move. In a way that made sense at the time, this led to a discussion of the various tags used on the perl5 repo, and that "affects-5.34" etc mean that we're accumulating more and more labels over time, and maybe this can be improved (topic added to backlog).

The release of 5.34.0 triggers a Term Election of the steering council. We're going to ask Philippe Bruhat to run this – expect to see him kicking this off within the next 2 weeks.

Neil proposed a way forward with trim. Expect a separate email on that to p5p RSN. Once that's done, we also want to kick off a review of text/string processing functions. Expect a separate mail on that next week.

Rik suggested that in this day and age Perl should really handle https, so we talked about that. Step 1 would be for Configure to notice that you've got openssl installed, so we could install Net::SSLeay for you. Even better would be if we could have IO::Socket::SSL included as well, so HTTP::Tiny could do https "out of the box". Possible 3rd step might be bundling openssl/libressl, but one step at a time. We'll talk about this some more.

Nick has been reviewing the RFC process from other languages and outlined a process. We had a look at the "idea to merged PR" process previously sketched. We can see how to meld these together, and hope to have an updated proposal soon. Nick to iterate.

We talked about the principle of "anyone should be able to suggest a change to the language", and the need for the process to start off lightweight as a result. We need to balance this with the desire to not flood p5p with suggestions that aren't going to go anywhere. A key tool to help us strike the right balance will be a brief "read this before you submit an idea" document, that we relentlessly refer people to. We also agreed that we should have a better way of handling people who join p5p wanting to help (topic added to our backlog).

Rik had a hard cutoff, and once he'd gone, Nick felt free to unleash a series of weapons-grade digressions on me. Eventually his son turned up and told us to cut it out.