Re: "platforms" and "support"

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
May 18, 2021 12:47
Re: "platforms" and "support"
Message ID:
20210518134700.5d4cba06@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Tue, 18 May 2021 12:00:04 +0000
Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:

> * this thing worked, but we think it is no longer seeing any use, so
> we will issue a big complaint when building for it and give it one
> full release cycle for anybody to show up with a great reason why it
> should be spared.

Given that you've listed four numbered tiers, I think this policy could
be expanded a bit into some statements about the maximum rate of change
between those tiers. It might different in the upwards vs downwards
direction, but at least I think we'd want to give some minimum time
periods that any particular configuration can transition from 1->2,
2->3 and 3->4 (which don't have to be the same duration). Possibly
upwards too - I doubt users will complain if their platform's support
tier rises too fast, but maybe the developers expected to maintain it
would want a say on that too.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans