the :win32 pseudo-layer

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
May 7, 2021 18:10
the :win32 pseudo-layer
Message ID:
ba4fd8ae-24c7-40a8-9303-ac6fac1c292f@beta.fastmail.com
Last year, xenu asked <http://markmail.org/message/v2f3jiwlo3fn67ky>:
> I was wondering about the status of the :win32 perlio layer. It's been marked as experimental for ages.
>
> What is preventing it from becoming non-experimental? What is not working/missing?

Great question, xenu, I wonder the same thing!

The archives suggest, to me, that this feature was perhaps begun by the late, great Nick Ing-Simmons pre-2006.  It got some work about seven years ago.  bulk88 was doing some things with it, that petered out.  In 2020, bulk88 said, "I'm not sure why it's around."

So: if this is a thing begun in over 15 years ago and abandoned several times, this suggests to me that either:
 1. it's done enough
 2. it's not worth finishing
…and my primitive search of the CPAN shows it's unused.  But I'm not much of a Win32 programmer anymore, and possibly there is some value in place that has escaped me.

*👉 Is there a reason not to remove the :win32 PerlIO experiment?*

--
rjbs