What exactly do we expect from an RC release?

From:
James E Keenan
Date:
May 1, 2021 23:23
Subject:
What exactly do we expect from an RC release?
Message ID:
20210501232331.5925.qmail@lists-nntp.develooper.com
It's never been clear to me what sort of QA we hope to happen once an RC
release is made each spring.  Nor is it evident what QA we actually do
-- and whether that differs from that we do for a monthly development
release.

Does an RC release get tested on more platforms than a monthly dev
release?  Does an RC release get tested on more configurations than a
monthly dev release?  Do we test its impact on CPAN more than we do a
monthly dev release?

When I first became a committer I assumed that the answer to these
question was "Yes" and that eventually people who had been at it longer
than I would disclose the specifics.  But up until now I've never seen
anything done specifically for RC releases above and beyond what we do
for a monthly dev release.

Having done CPAN-river-testing from 2018 to 2020, I know that testing
against CPAN is non-trivial.  And whatever code you've set up to handle
monthly dev releases needs some modification to handle the different
naming convention for RC releases.  So I'm not expecting us to put
together some more intensive QA procedure on the fly.  For the time
being, I'd simply like some discussion on the subject line:  What
exactly do we expect from an RC release?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan