landing experiments during v5.35.0

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 30, 2021 17:40
Subject:
landing experiments during v5.35.0
Message ID:
2a54d9c1-09ac-4e8c-87e1-876be94fe502@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

Soon, v5.35.0 will be here, and we will be getting to work in earnest on the next version of Perl.  Lots to do!

One thing to do, I think, is to begin a review of our outstanding experiments  Did you know we have *fifteen* of them?  Several weren't collected in perlexperiment.  In fact, I found enough through casual looking-around that I'm not certain that we won't find that we've stuck a "this is experimental" label on some other things not yet counted.

In the meantime, I have tried to make sure that we have a GitHub issue for each experiment, where we'll keep track of its status.  This includes, most especially:  "Is it time to call this experiment over?"  You can see the list here:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment

Over the next few weeks, I'll begin going through these one by one, posting notes and requests for information, and trying to get things moving.  This email is a heads-up, and most definitely *not* a call for anybody to try to get this started early.  We can't review all 15 at once usefully, so let's not try.

On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called experimental but not listed there, let me know.  I'd like to get the documentation correct in v5.34.0.

--
rjbs