PSC #017 2021-04-23

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 23, 2021 19:19
Subject:
PSC #017 2021-04-23
Message ID:
65b709c8-9d54-43f8-99ea-16b82818ee90@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

Today, Neil and I had our regular PSC call.  We invited Nicholas Clark to join us.  With a third party present, we deferred some planned discussion about community issues and instead focused on technical matters.  Neil and I hope to have a special session in the next few days to cover community issues.

Here's a brief summary of topics discussed:

*v5.34.0* — We looked at the issues list, and agreed that there are no current blockers known to us.  We agreed that Data::Alias was not a blocker.  While we would like to see it patched and working, Neil and I agreed that p5p does not have a responsibility to fix it.  We also agreed that we'd like to change how we track blockers for the next release, as the current "affects-X" tagging is not clear enough about whether something is a blocker.

With no known blockers, the main outstanding work is the construction of a quality perldelta, shipping and testing release candidates, and then a final release.  We expect the first release candidate in the next week or so.

*v5.35 *— The bulk of our time was spent discussing what we'd like to accomplish in v5.35.  I had a long laundry list, and we went through it and said "that sounds good" and "that was a foolish idea" and "we need to talk about that a bunch more."  So, this is very much in the "we're spitballing before suggesting detailed discussion on actual changes" phase.  I hope we'll enter the "specific changes are on the table for discussion on perl5-porters" phase once v5.35.0 has shipped.

Finally, a special thanks to Neil.  Nick and I could not be stopped from going down every possible conversational side track, and Neil was extremely patient with us on this front.  Thanks, Neil. 😉

--
rjbs