Re: TPF Transparency Report

From:
L A Walsh
Date:
April 22, 2021 22:16
Re: TPF Transparency Report
Message ID:
6081F558.6000003@tlinx.org
On 2021/04/20 13:54, Neil Bowers wrote:
> As most of you are probably aware by now, yesterday the Community
> Affairs Team (CAT) of TPF issued a lifetime ban
---

I feel I need to ask/say -- when I read the SoC, I got the
impression that someone would be clearly corrected, and told
not to do 'X', and if there was a 2nd occurrence a 1 week ban,
and if still, then maybe a n-month or year ban,

But I don't recall it mentioning a lifetime ban "in perpetuity"
(someone spending too much time around lawyers perhaps?).

It seems like from what little I could tell that the consequence
of a lifetime ban had already been decided upon after a 1st
investigation.  It sorta seemed like a few steps had been missed
there.

    If that's not the case, fine, I wasn't informed of all the
details, but too often I've seen the equivalent of lynch-mobs
following up on witch-hunts over.  I couldn't help but notice
the parallel in methods of those desiring to expel RMS from
FSF-related stuff, in perpetuity, for various reasons (maybe
some solid, while others maybe being a matter of perspective).

    It just seems weird to have lifetime sentences/bans proposed by
"policing-groups" over issues that are politically sensitive
with some vocal groups looking for 'blood'.

    Personally, I'm very much against lifetime anythings, since
all conditions change and all people, at least, have the possibility of
changing.

    Perhaps individuals need to take a break apart from each
other...but life time sentences seem way overboard.

Linda A. W.