Re: Perl 5.33.9 is available

From:
Andreas Koenig
Date:
April 21, 2021 13:11
Re: Perl 5.33.9 is available
Message ID:
87lf9bn5oj.fsf@k85.linux.bogus

  > On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 07:56:39 -0400, "Ricardo Signes"
  > <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

 >> On Wed, Apr 21, 2021, at 3:41 AM, Andreas Koenig wrote:
 >> > The release has been tagged with v5.33.9 but the tag is a
 >> > lightweight tag, not an annotated one. This is what the release
 >> > manager guide has to say about the tag:
 >> >
 >> > % grep 'git tag v' Porting/release_managers_guide.pod
 >> >     $ git tag v5.11.0 -m 'First release of the v5.11 series!'
 >>
 >> I'm not sure why we prefer an annotated tag, but consistency *is*
 >> nice.
 >>
 >> We can forcibly replace that tag with a new one.  Some remotes will
 >> still have the old one, unless they delete and re-fetch, but I'm
 >> inclined to think that there's no harm in doing this.
 >>
 >> Andreas?  Anybody else?

I wouldn't suggest to repair this concrete instance. 5.33.7 was also
done wrong and many before 5.10 were also not annotated. But >350 times
it has been done right and we have now in the last ten years exactly two
slips, 5.33.7 and 5.33.9.

  > I see no added values in comments/annotations on release tags unless
  > they actually have to add value in the description. As with the above
  > example, it does not IMHO

The output of git describe varies with annotated vs not annotated tags.
I don't know who else relies on the distinction.

--
andreas