outstanding v5.34.0 blockers

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 18, 2021 20:05
Subject:
outstanding v5.34.0 blockers
Message ID:
168518c4-13cf-421f-bb2a-62b7e726bc23@beta.fastmail.com
Porters,

In a few days, v5.33.9 will drop and then we're on the home stretch toward v5.34.0.  It's time to get even more serious about blocker review.  For this, I looked at open issues with the label affects-5.34.  We have three:

BBC: Blead Breaks Data::Alias <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18668> — Slaven notes that until recently there were *some* pass reports, but I think the general consensus here is that it's been totally broken for a year and probably won't ever be repaired.  I think we should call this a non-blocker.  (That said, the kind of failure Slaven shows is really weird.  Has anybody given it a glance?)

Replacement of PL_hash_seed with PL_hash_seed_w breaks mod_perl2 <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/18617> — It looks like we (in the form of Yves) have said that the bug is downstream in mod_perl2.  Do we know whether mod_perl2 is still broken?  Is anyone capable of doing a test build and, possibly, providing a patch?

Strengthen weak refs when sorting in-place <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues/17569> — I don't think we can deal with this before 5.34.0.

I did *not* go through all the "affects blead issues <https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aaffects-blead>", but may do.  We used to have a "blocks vX" tag (well, meta-ticket) which was useful to really call out blockers.  If there's no such label now, maybe it'd be good to bring one back.

👉 Are there other blockers unlisted here?

--
rjbs