Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 18, 2021 16:51
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
6ae51bef-7995-4ec6-8bd8-f9e632919d7a@beta.fastmail.com
On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, at 2:28 AM, Ovid wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 April 2021, 19:35:57 CEST, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
>> I completely agree.  You called out, recently, the exemplary diagnostic output
>> of Raku.  We should strive to provide better diagnostics *in general*, but also
>> especially when we're bringing change that isn't opt-in.
>
> If that's to be done, it might be interesting to rethink diagnostics in terms of the larger context and not just the messages.

I agree, but I'd rather not let the better be the enemy of the "good enough for now."  I put in some work, ages ago, to try to move us toward more structured errors and diagnostics, and it more or less went nowhere.  While I'm happy to make another go of it, improving the text of text warnings is an interim good.

--
rjbs