Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Ovid via perl5-porters
Date:
April 18, 2021 06:29
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
1123556912.1871823.1618727337037@mail.yahoo.com
   On Saturday, 17 April 2021, 19:35:57 CEST, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
> I completely agree.  You called out, recently, the exemplary diagnostic output
> of Raku.  We should strive to provide better diagnostics *in general*, but also
> especially when we're bringing change that isn't opt-in.

If that's to be done, it might be interesting to rethink diagnostics in terms of the larger context and not just the messages. For example, a core exception system would be good. First pass could be converting all diagnostics to exceptions and when we get a "use of uninitialized value in $foo" it would be interest if the developer could rerun the program:
    PERL_DIAG=verbose,trace perl path/to/fail.pl
Note that I'm not suggesting that as an interface! It's the concept which I think is important here. Different developers have different needs and I almost  never want extra info in diagnostics (though I'd often kill for a stacktrace). But if I get a "bizarre copy of array in list assignment" error, I absolutely want more info.

Best,Ovid
-- IT consulting, training, specializing in Perl, databases, and agile developmenthttp://www.allaroundtheworld.fr/.
Buy my book! - http://bit.ly/beginning_perl