Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 17, 2021 17:35
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210417173535.GA17835@debian
* "H.Merijn Brand via perl5-porters" <perl5-porters@perl.org> [2021-04-12T10:39:22]
> I already gave a +1 earlier, but I like to add
>
> "Considering deprecation of an existing feature/function is beneficial
>  to a new feature/function, check if it possible to provide a clear
>  path that can be used to replace the old functionality."
>
> The best way (imho) would be a clear warning/error message showing the
> cause and the alternative. An imaginary example

I completely agree.  You called out, recently, the exemplary diagnostic output
of Raku.  We should strive to provide better diagnostics *in general*, but also
especially when we're bringing change that isn't opt-in.

We'll reduce inconvenience if we can always provide something like, at minimum,
"We are deprecating Perl's support for foozles.  Consider using the new blorts
system.  You can find more at [this] resource."

--
rjbs