Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
"H.Merijn Brand" via perl5-porters
Date:
April 14, 2021 21:37
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210412163922.7b8a0cde@pc09.procura.nl
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 16:49:15 -0400, "Ricardo Signes"
<perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> So I think, after saying all this, the first big question is:  Is
> there a general agreement that there are kinds of changes we've made
> (or will make) to the language that we can ease into making the
> default, through some multi-step process?  We may need to hash out
> individual changes' paths forward, but if there is an overwhelming
> opposition to changing these sorts of defaults *at all*, then I think
> a lot of this conversation has to be entirely reconsidered.

I already gave a +1 earlier, but I like to add

"Considering deprecation of an existing feature/function is beneficial
 to a new feature/function, check if it possible to provide a clear
 path that can be used to replace the old functionality."

The best way (imho) would be a clear warning/error message showing the
cause and the alternative. An imaginary example

 say $foo.method ($arg);

Syntax error: You are using "." after object ⌞$foo⌝, but ⌞$foo⌝ does
              not support stringification. Maybe you meant to use "->"

--
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.33        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux