Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans
Date:
April 9, 2021 12:03
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
20210409130256.1c3b31a3@shy.leonerd.org.uk
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 22:23:43 -0400
"Ricardo Signes" <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
> >> Outside of that, when a huge win can be demonstrated, stuff should
> >> be removed, but then i'd prefer it be done by way of deprecating
> >> that specific dialect.
> >
> > I would argue (though it's hard to search for "format" in the
> > issues list) that being able to close 50+ cases would be nice if we
> > could just say: "Formats are removed. this issue is now
> > irrelevant."
>
> I think that's true, strictly speaking, but:  of the people who use
> formats, how many would be impacted, and how, if we removed formats?
> Well, 100% of them would be impacted, and the impact would be "I had
> to rewrite some code" which (given how formats work) would probably
> be kind of a pain in the butt.  Sometimes a big one, sometimes pretty
> tiny.

In terms of eating into syntax we'd like to use for other things,
formats consume two keywords that aren't *that* interesting (`format`
and `write`), and a bunch of variables; some of which we'd quite like
to reclaim for syntax purposes.

I have a branch that provides a (default-on) feature for parsing of the
format-related variables, so that a future perl can simply

  no feature 'format_vars';

to get all those back.

  https://github.com/Perl/perl5/tree/leonerd/feature-format-vars

--