Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Ovid via perl5-porters
Date:
April 9, 2021 09:51
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
1203631176.69733.1617961893590@mail.yahoo.com
   On Friday, 9 April 2021, 11:32:55 CEST, Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a way to make everyone happy.
>
> Define `use 7;` and up as: "doesn't provide format-related things".
>
> Define missing `use $v;` or one with $v < 7 as: "provides format-related things as they were pre-7".
>
> That way we don't step on any toes of format users, and Leonerd can create new syntax using format-danglies in v7+.

I am not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that if you want the benefit of v7 and you want formats, you're out of luck? Or are you suggesting you have to learn more boilerplate by explicitly not using "v7" but writing the boilerplate to get the benefits of v7+formats? That isn't better than what we have, so I think I've misunderstood you.

Best,Ovid
-- IT consulting, training, specializing in Perl, databases, and agile developmenthttp://www.allaroundtheworld.fr/.
Buy my book! - http://bit.ly/beginning_perl