Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Christian Walde
Date:
April 9, 2021 08:26
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
op.01kppjxcydyjqt@xenbox.cihq
On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 10:07:31 +0200, Ovid via perl5-porters <perl5-porters@perl.org> wrote:

> On Friday, 9 April 2021, 04:24:34 CEST, Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>>> Outside of that, when a huge win can be demonstrated, stuff should be removed, >>>but then i'd prefer it be done by way of deprecating that specific dialect.
>>
>> Christian's #2, changing defaults when they confound users, should be weighed against users >>confounded.  I think we'd find that in general, new users are not reaching for formats.  If users >>say "I'm using formats, and this part was confusing," and we say, "okay, we have ripped out >>formats," I don't think anybody's going to thank us for that.
>
> Late to the party, not a core dev, and probably shouldn't wade into the lion's den, but I'd like to offer my >(obviously biased) thoughts.
[...]
> So, given the assumption that Perl's push/pull ratio is poor, I contend that only a wholesale, radical upgrade >of the language is the only way to save it.

Less of a den of lions matter it's a question of what was already discussed. :)

It sounds like you're agreeing with noises made previously, to cite myself here:

     "I want future Perls to be as bold as possible. I want Perl v7 to
     change as much as it humanly can. I want it to be brutal, a sledge
     hammer. I want it to include every possible default change we can
     remotely justify. I want it to change so much as to get close to
     being a new language as the major version bump indicates."

and to cite Leonerd:

     We need to look at who is, and isn't, using Perl currently and
     consider whether actually `use VERSION` would help us provide a
     better Perl for both of these use-cases, as well as give us a
     great way to build a lot of marketing and promotion around that
     by pointing out that both kinds of Perl even exist.

Source for both: https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2021/03/msg259585.html

--
With regards,
Christian Walde