Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 9, 2021 02:24
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
7c926f62-e858-4dd2-aacb-6151d6eb0f2c@beta.fastmail.com
On Thu, Apr 8, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Todd Rinaldo wrote:
>> Outside of that, when a huge win can be demonstrated, stuff should be removed, but then i'd prefer it be done by way of deprecating that specific dialect.
>
> I would argue (though it's hard to search for "format" in the issues list) that being able to close 50+ cases would be nice if we could just say: "Formats are removed. this issue is now irrelevant."

I think that's true, strictly speaking, but:  of the people who use formats, how many would be impacted, and how, if we removed formats?  Well, 100% of them would be impacted, and the impact would be "I had to rewrite some code" which (given how formats work) would probably be kind of a pain in the butt.  Sometimes a big one, sometimes pretty tiny.

On the other hand, the benefit of closing tickets that we were ignoring *anyway* is pretty darn low.

Christian's #2, changing defaults when they confound users, should be weighed against users confounded.  I think we'd find that in general, new users are not reaching for formats.  If users say "I'm using formats, and this part was confusing," and we say, "okay, we have ripped out formats," I don't think anybody's going to thank us for that.

--
rjbs