Re: on changing perl's behavior

From:
Martijn Lievaart
Date:
April 7, 2021 18:46
Re: on changing perl's behavior
Message ID:
2c15afb0-9927-72f1-e17f-f3624b5d24a2@rtij.nl
Op 07-04-2021 om 02:23 schreef Yuki Kimoto:
> rjbs
>
> ----------
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2021, at 7:58 PM, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
>> Personally, why not use the following syntax
>>
>> use v5.26;
>> use v5.28;
>> use v5.30;
>> use v5.32;
>>
>> 1. that don't include warnings program.
>>
>> 2. The features introduced in the minor version are hard to
>> understand. It feels like a feature that early adopters try.
>
> I don't understand what you mean, especially by point #2.
> ------------
>
> Suppose I am a beginner.
>
> I can't understand the difference between "use v5.26" and "use v5.32".
>
> This is because the unit for minor releases is too small.
>
> If it is "use v7;", I can understand the features by reading only one
> page that explains it.

That is my feeling too. "use v7" will be the way to get modern Perl. It
should be and will be a major step in evolving the language and will be
the standard for new Perl code world wide. Using minor versions may take
off, or it may not after that, but that is actually not that important.
As long as v7, v8, etc define a well thought out step forward, that is
probably what people will use, and that will be a boon to Perl.

M4